Wednesday, January 2, 2013

NYE 2012: And so we beat on, boats and such.

The eves of new years are all about pacing yourself as you roam from party to party, and we had ourselves in a happy cloud of buzz by the time it was 9 pm. First stop in the Mission was about the cinnamon rolls (hi, Ax!) and the triple berry concoctions. Second stop was thematically the Future, so people with tinfoil caps, buttons, ties, and I found myself in an itsy bitsy Bernal Heights room wearing Google Glass and taking pictures/video with my mind (and voice activation).With an hour to spare,  we mingle with Jay Gatsbys and Daisy Buchanans, champagne flutes in hand, before being the only ones to snatch gobs of chocolate cake with our grimy fingers after the fireworks go off in the distance.

Why yes, I do believe the cake is celebrating the end of 1922.
Stumbled down the hill towards MUNI, and we waited in Castro station with a third of San Francisco. An overly friendly man and I chatted before the L rolled in, and I turned down his offer to come over and cuddle when I got off at Powell. Somehow my Game is strongest on public transportation. And on Supershuttle (if I get a third number from another Supershuttle denizen...).

How do I build on this minor and tragic superpower?


#nosegue

Beyond the bucket list of fun and annoyingly self-improving things I want to do that I track on Wunderlist 2 (why is there a sequel?), here are some arbitrary resolutions for my 2013:

1) Climb a V6.
My bum right shoulder has kept me wallowing in the V3/V4 pool for a frustratingly long time, so I'm going to religiously strengthen my shoulders/back. Hopefully by the end of 2013, I'll send at least a V5.

2) Read another 52 books.
In 2012, I managed to read 56 books, though they were all fiction except for one background text on refugee law to prep for starting my job with ORAM. Through the Internet tubes, I've found that there is a subgroup of people who read at least 104 books a year. Now that is insane.

3) Camp and hike more.
I now own a three-person tent and a decent backpacking sack, so why not rally some scrappy friends to charge into the shrubbery for some actual backpacking (see: not carcamping)?

4) Take art and language classes again.
I miss drawing, painting, and making ceramic ashtrays, so I'm considering figure drawing class or the Friday drop-in free sessions at SFAI (if anyone wants to join me, please speak up!). I should work on my French and/or learn Mandarin. Language learning geekfests are something I don't have much of any more, and that should change.

5) Date...better.
In the past year, I've come to a clearer understanding of what I want, what I need, and what I should reasonably be asked to put up with. I know what measures of security and affection I can offer someone, and I like to think that it is not too granular a pile. We all deserve to feel like we're enough.

I'll leave it at that and see what 2013 yowls about and drags in from the wild wild wilderness.

2 comments:

  1. this is such a great entry!! stream of consciousness:

    animorphs <3, love reading resolutions, what does wunderlist do?! is it just a glorified to do list!? yowls about, nice, THANKS FOR NOT COMING TO THE PARTY KEVIN it sounds way better than any other crappy literary party you went to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, just a glorified to-do list, but out of all the ones I've tried, I like its interface and it has JUST enough features that I want, so still simple enough that I do use it.

    I know! I felt bad, but I totally lost track of time since I had planned to end the night with you guys. :( Don't hate me!

    ReplyDelete