Sunday, January 27, 2013

Gualala, Atlanta, and the Flu



Celebrating MLK in a little house by Gualala, CA turned out to be most excellent, if only I hadn't gotten the flu the same Friday we drove up. Bear and I feasted on pork ribs, the best mac n' cheese I've had recently, and yet the worst corn muffin ever at Bones Roadhouse. Between all the body aching, fevering, and phlegming, I was still able to get in a ton of board games. I swear I still get anxious just thinking about Ticket to Ride: Must finish my train route before bitches get in the way! 

Our one physical activity was a short walk along the coastline by the Sea Ranch Lodge, where we saw the sun fall into the ocean. And then there was drinking. After twenty-six years in California, it still hasn't stopped being amazing every time I go to the Pacific Ocean and just watch the waves wash in.

View from my room
On day three of The Flu and Me, I spend it frantically making widgets at the office. It's funny how the chocolate conveyor belt doesn't stop moving when you're sick or when you're about to head out of town. Nothing to do but fill your pockets and stuff your mouth. I loaded up on drogas and hopped on a plane to Creating Change in Atlanta, GA. People had warned me about how young the crowd is, but I didn't realize it until I got there and the wave of excited 19-year-olds swept over everything. It certainly isn't a bad thing, considering how much energy was infused into any and all just by the sheer spunkiness they were giving off. More power to the young folk for being so engaged. I know I certainly wasn't.

I went to a screening of God Loves Uganda, meet a ton of activists, and then between conference events, I made enough time to hit up the High Museum of Art and the Georgia Aquarium.





Food options were surprisingly limited, considering how Atlanta is a major city. I really didn't feel like having food court vittles every day AND I was sick, so definitely subsisted on apple sauce, prunes, and cereal for a few meals. I'm sure the hotel maids did not approve of my ice bucket contraption to keep the milk from spoiling. The Sweet Auburn Curb Market was awesome though, and I'm glad I made a trip there for lunch a few times.

Why does the Coke Museum cost $30?




Who knew piranhas were so  pretty?
 Since Atlanta was flooded with the rainbow contingent, there were more than a few gay men discussing their love of furry lean boys in front of the otter tank. That and woof-ing at the actual otters. Otters were displeased.

Otters are adorable!
And I still have the tail end of the flu. Ick.

1 comment:

  1. THE COKE MUSEUM IS AWESOME!!!! lol. yeah, $30 seems a little steep, i suppose.

    how were your boy adventures!?!? creating change is firewall-blocked :(

    ReplyDelete